Happy Birthday to Thomas Hart Benton
Today, we remember Thomas Hart Benton on the 125th Anniversary of his birthday. Benton was one of the 20th century’s greatest artists with an unmistakable style in the way he captured American history through art. Born in Neosho, Missouri, Benton was a resident of Kansas City, Missouri from 1935-1975. Many upcoming area events honor Thomas Hart Benton. You can even tour the home he shared with his wife, Rita at 3616 Belleview Avenue in Kansas City.
April 27, 2pm
- KCAI’s student-led GRUPPO performs a musical-theater work celebrating Benton’s life, art and music at his historic home courtyard
November 26-December 31
- Benton-designed, family Christmas cards are on display at his home
February 22-June 8
- The Kansas City Canvas: Thomas Hart Benton and Beyond:The Benton lithos and 19th and 20th century local art from the museum’s collection.
Tuesday, April 29. Reception at 5:30pm, Presentation at 6:30pm
- Community Curator– Speaker: Steve Sitton, Admin., T.H. Benton Home
- Jannes Library and Learning Center, Benton Books & Photos Display
April 19-Oct 12
- Razzle Dazzle– Display telling the impact of Benton’s U.S. Naval experience in 1918 (as a camoufleur and draftsman) and how this influenced hid development as an artist.
May 21-November 16
- Benton in Black and White– Lithographs by Thomas Hart Benton– View a new exhibition of prints, enjoy old favorites from the museum’s permanent collection of Benton’s art, and visit the library for Benton-related book display.
May 2 (First Friday) August 8
- A display showing the influence of the Mexican Social Realist School on Benton’s art and murals.